Friday, July 9, 2010

fantasy friday!

wow, so i'm really feeling the pressure to come up with good reads for my weekly review since some of you actually take my advice! (yikes!)

but i have a book here that i feel 100% confident endorsing.

Howl's Moving Castle by Dianna Wynne Jones.

"In the land of Ingary, where such things as seven-league boots and cloaks of invisibility really exist, it is quite a misfortune to be born the eldest of three." Which is exactly what Sophie Hatter is. She grows up knowing that no matter how hard she tries, fate will always conspire against her. She decides to accept her misfortune and takes up work in her father's hat shop--until one day, the Witch of the Waste pays Sophie a visit and sets off Sophie's quirky and amusing adventure. An adventure that leads her to the strange, 'moving' castle of Wizard Howl--a man rumored to be a menace to every young girl in the land of Ingary.

there. i think that was spoiler-free!

i honestly can't think of anything i don't like about this book--but there are plenty of things i adore! i love the quaint atmosphere of Ingary, the humor, the characters--and Sophie's rather unique plight (which i won't mention and spoil for you). ALA Booklist calls Howl's Moving Castle "witty" and "rollicking", and Publishers Weekly sums it up as "a wonderful blend of humor, magic, and romance".

these description are accurate--even good--but they just can't capture the way the story never fails to make me laugh or the way the characters linger in my mind long after i set the book down. this was one of those rare books that i devoured and that i am always looking for in the pages of every other novel.

i even own two copies of it (because my first one is literally falling apart from over-use). i never buy two copies of one book--partly because i am so careful with my precious novels that i don't damage them in the first place! if that isn't evidence of a great book, i don't know what is.

10 comments:

  1. HMC is definitely one of my favorite novels ever -- I have 2 copies of it, also, and have been desperate to get my hands on a hardcover. :)

    Also, I am in love with Howl. It's difficult not to be. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes. i am in love with Howl, too (it's pretty much Impossible not to be). he is one of my all-time favorite characters.

    it never occurred to me that there even ARE hardback copies...hm, interesting..

    hang on! weren't you the person who said "Howl" when Nathan Bransford asked "what character are you most in love with?" (or something like that...) I was complaining because you took my character! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who could ever NOT love Howl? For once, the movie isn't a half bad job of the book either. Another good one by the amazing Diana Wynne Jones is The Deep Secret.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, you sold me. Sounds like a good book. I don't think I'll ever finish reading every book I want to read. Too much good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  5. SM--i love Ms. Jones writing. i've read most of her books, including that one!

    Solvang--i agree with you there (plus i can't afford all the books i want, lol) but i hope you'll have time for this one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haven't read. Sounds interesting. Everyone seems to know, Howl. *curiosity brewing*

    Thanks again for visiting the IMPETUS ROOM. Good luck with your goals, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow awesome, kari! i've never even heard of this book!! looks like i definitely need to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. S.A.--your curiosity is well-deserved! (mwahahaha). the IMPETUS ROOM is awesome and i plan to switch over my blogging schedule soon to better coordinate my goals!

    Tahereh--thanks!! i hope you like it!

    speaking of recommendations, i just got one of yours (The Sky Is Everywhere) and i'm really looking forward to reading it :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay, so I'd never even heard of this book until a month or so ago, and now this is like the third time someone's said that it's amazing. So I'm ordering it off Amazon. Now.

    Thanks for another amazing review :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. haha, YAY! i was thinking of you when i was picking a book for today's review (since you tend to read my recommendations, lol). this is probably one of the best books i could have come up with--i hope you like it!!!

    ReplyDelete

feel free to leave as many comments as you like!

*disclaimer: spammers are limited to FIVE