Thursday, March 3, 2011

Incarceron review

Incarceron by Catherine Fisher

(synopsis from Catherine Fisher's webpage)

Imagine a living prison so vast that it contains corridors and forests, cities and seas. Imagine a prisoner with no memory, who is sure he came from Outside, even though the prison has been sealed for centuries and only one man, half real, half legend, has ever escaped.
Imagine a girl in a manor house in a society where time has been forbidden, where everyone is held in a seventeenth century world run by computers, doomed to an arranged marriage that appals her, tangled in an assassination plot she both dreads and desires.

One inside, one outside

But both imprisoned.

Imagine a war that has hollowed the moon, seven skullrings that contain souls, a flying ship and a wall at the world's end.

Imagine the unimaginable.

Imagine Incarceron.



my thoughts:

this was another one of those books that i had high expectations for and then it didn't quite live up to them.

it was original and entertaining, but ultimately unsatisfactory. it was hard to get really engaged in the story or the characters. at the end, the story veered into the dangerous territory i refer to as "the abstract" where i couldn't understand what was happening...this book just wasn't what i'd hoped.

it also had an inconclusive ending. what more can i say?

my rating: 3.5

4 comments:

  1. I actually got a copy of this when it was first released. I remember loving the writing, but actually never finished reading. I'm thinking maybe I should give it another try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been wavering on picking this one up. The concept just doesn't appeal to me because of what I do for a living. Now that I've read your review I'm confident I won't be picking it up. Thanks hun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emy--i'm in the same situation with a couple of books...so hard to find time to read them all!

    Heather--i wish i could say you were missing out...but i can't. glad to have helped you make up your mind, anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed this book--and the world building was amazing. But, to each his own, right? It's why there are so many books on the shelves!

    ReplyDelete

feel free to leave as many comments as you like!

*disclaimer: spammers are limited to FIVE